Monday 20 December 2010

I saw them doing it - 10 collective

Well I made it to the 10 collective exhibition at the Rag Factory despite London being covered in snow! Showcasing the work of 10 LCC MA students who have set up their own studio, the exhibition was of their individual, final major projects.

Speaking to one of the girls, Becky Ford, she told me that they wanted people to see their work from beginning to end, not just a final poster which is all they had room for in their MA show, as a huge percentage of the course involved research and sourcing ideas. The exhibition communicated this well, with 10 'workspaces' lined up side by side, where you could sit and look through their journals, sketch books and posters and get a real sense of their though processes. In the centre of the room was the result of that work. I particularly liked the work of Sarah Boland who's project focused on sustainable fashion and making vintage fashion more accessible to everyone...which actually inspired me to walk into a vintage market off Brick Lane after we left! Her final piece was a beautiful large printed document (pictured below) illustrating how accessible vintage fashion can be, and she also had some goregous sketchbooks which she had made.

I definitely recommend this exhibition, I found it really inspiring to see female graphic designers making a name for themselves and it was interesting to see work which involves such strong concepts and ideas, something I miss about being a student.





No comments: