Monday 24 January 2011

Harper's Bazaar







Harper's Bazaar is not my usual choice of glossy, but after a quick flick through I couldn't resist it's totally beautiful editorial spreads.

I really love the expressive use of typography throughout, particularly within the title pages of a number of the features, for example 'The Firth Factor' (which reminds me I MUST watch A Single Man). I think the experimental mixture of upper and lower case with italic and roman type is very interesting, it gives the pages a real style and edge whilst maintaining a sophisticated look.

I was also drawn to the S/S Collection pages which uses the most stunning location and vibrant colours, making me hungry for some sunshine! (photography by Norbert Schoerner)

In the bottom image I have picked out some pages which demonstrate the lovely use of a graphic device, which is like a signature to the magazine. Used for framing titles, bits of information or simply as a decorative interest. It is used both in full and in part, and in blocks of colour, or multiplied over an image. An unusual shape, and really lovely touch.

(Source: Harper's Bazzar Feb 2011)

No comments: